Sunday, June 13, 2010

First day in Taiwan

I woke up at 5am, hoping I'll be able to catch a bus to the airport from KL Sentral by 6.30am. It turns out I'm not just fine but way too early till to the flight has been delayed, which ends up spending 4 hours snail crawling in the airport. Come on, Airasia, you've disappointed me. I've been taking your flight for the past 3 years and now you do this to me. Not to mention, you send no email notification about my coming flight, Taipei to Bangkok has been postpone to the next day. Anyway, I've no right to complain as my air ticket is dirt cheap.

The flight to Taipei is freezing cold and loooong, even though it's more spacious than the regular 2 hours bangkok flight and about the same time you take the bus from JB to KL (or even shorter). I can swear the journey without touching the ground or scenery is painful. Try sitting MRT non-stop 4 hours underground, you'll know what I meant.

The only thing not "cool" is that the tap in the toilet is too hard to comprehend. I've used the toilet twice without washing my hands till to the fact I can't find any button or indication of where to release the water. Pardon my candour, but I really need to pee beside you don't pee with your hand, you just stick it out.

Upon arriving in Taiwan, it's exhilarating (maybe till to the long "cold" confinement), the signage in traditional Chinese is mesmerizing, I try to read every word I see. I've never once touched down in the airport raining heavily, maybe this is a "good sign". I took the bus to Taipei main station, without getting lost
and reach the hostel wet. Thank goodness, the new backpack I got comes with a water resistance cover :)

The hostel, Camel Oasis, is clean, pleasant and homely. Till to the earlier "good sign", I was thrilled to hear that there's a double booking for my 2-bed dorm and was exchange for a Queen size double bed room. Now, that's something worth the wait and rain!

The hostel owners, Shawn and Tina is extremely affable. We chatted for a while before I head to the nearby hot spot, Ximending 西门町. This mainstream youth culture street makes me a little giddy, the neon lights, colourful merchandises waiting to grab your attention. I feel like it's between of Hongkong and ShenZheng, not too fancy or sloppish. I think the people and language makes a difference. I don't particular like it but it's still a good place to linger around and people watching.

okay, now is time to go back to my Queen size bed. Taiwan more later! :)













No comments:

Post a Comment