Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 10 - An acquaintance

I left Camel Island, the hostels I've stayed for the past 7 days, bid farewell to my beloved Shawn & Tina, owner of the hostel and catch the next train to HuaLien. The scenery along the way is breathtaking, I feel like I'm travelling side by side with the ocean at certain point.

I checked into Colorful Taiwan, which again I don’t know why, they upgrade my stay from 10 bed dorms to 6 bed dorms. I really need to leave my cheapo face somewhere. It’s a sweet and cozy bungalow, with nicely decorated rooms. Occupancy rate is low, so you kind of feel like you own the bungalow and you’ve friends for sleep over. Friend indeed, which I met Kester, my fellow countryman, a fresh graduate, Catholic, and a fellow Scorpio in my dorm, he truly enthuse me. What makes him different from most Singaporean is that even though he is only 24, his fervor of wanting to contribute to the world is immense. The NGO spirit and strong interest about Buddhism, which is why his questions make me in deep thought, not because I’m perplexed but I see another side of Dharma reflected upon him.

I left my engaging discussion with him later in the evening for dinner, while I visit Jing Si Tang, A beautiful temple which showcase the work Tzu Chi have done. The sister whom guided me through the exhibition is inspiring. The hard work and effort that Tzu Chi has contributed to the world makes me grateful for what I have and where I come from. It’s a gem in the world!

I then caught up with Kester over dinner, talking about life, Singapore and ideals. A thoughtful and sweet boy that is hard to come across in Singapore. I appreciate people like that who try to make our world a better place to live in. What’s more, he’s young. A bright future, I wish him!












No comments:

Post a Comment