Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 2 - Everything goes well and ends well

My neck is aching, seriously soft mattress and pillow doesn’t work for me, and seahorse brand is still the best. Thank goodness, in the temple, monks sleep on the floor. I’ve made plans spontaneously while I was changing. I decided to visit a temple my chum, Chingwi has recommended, Cheng Tian Si (承天寺) follow by Long San Si (龙山寺 then to the famous Taipei 101 and Shi Lin Ye Shi (士林夜市)

Cheng Tian Si (承天寺) is a little underwhelmed; the only thing that captures my spirit is the Buddha with Vitarka& Varada mudra and the mountain view. I took the train to Yong Ning (永宁) station then hoping I can walk up to the temple which my friend CW told me it’s about 10-15 minutes. It turns out to be a long walk for about 1 hour. Thankfully, I saw the bus stop in front of the station that indicates transport every hour to the temple. Since it’s every hour, I regretted rejecting a lady driving red car, offering me a ride to the temple for NT100. Instead, I took a cab up for NT115. There goes the additional NT15! The ambience is serene, even the temple doesn’t allow heavy incense burner.

After the temple, I visited an incense powered Long San Si (龙山寺), I got there in time when the monks together with the lay people are chanting in harmony. The feeling is empowering. The architecture of the temple is nicely engraved, built in a three-sectional shaped design with bronze dragons on right and left pillars symbolizing protections to the main hall, and decorations of delicate sculptures, detailed wood carvings. Even though the main hall houses Avalokitesvara (Goddess of mercy), but the back you’ll see various Taoist deities. It’s one of the oldest and resplendent Buddhist temples in Taiwan.

From the culture, I dive into the Urban, Taipei 101. I have no idea why the big fuss about TP101, taller doesn’t always mean better, size don’t matter, unless you’re talking other aspects ;) one thing I really fond of is the Page One book store, then again, just the camera bag I’m carrying is killing me, not to mention the mass of books on my shoulder. However, the shopping mall, New York New York, bye bye sale doesn’t stop me from accumulating any heavy load. I bought a jacket just because Taiwan has been raining non-stop the past few days. Also, some souvenirs for my chums, Jeannie, Kaili & Ker Chin.

Lastly, there is something worth mentioning, Shi Lin Ye Shi (士林夜市). It’s a food galore street with fashion. Contrary to popular belief, it’s nearer to stop at Jiantan station than to alight at Shilin station. I’ve my stomach filled with delectable snacks before heading back to my hostel. Taiwan more later!

Vitarka - Gesture of Debate Varada mudra - Gesture of Charity & Generosity


















No comments:

Post a Comment