Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 7 - How eventful!

Yesterday, I gave Shawn & Tina, owner of the hostel I’m staying in, 3 choices, Wulai, PingXi or SanXia. They both says PingXi, of course, they’ll right. Not knowing the price of one ticket can get you to different stops of Pinxi line, so for me, one price for 3 destinations, PingXi > JinTong & lastly ShiFen.

PingXi is a rural township in the eastern part of Taipei, every year during the Lantern Festival, people have their wishes written on sky lanterns, and release them to the skies. However, you do not have to wait for that occasion, sky lanterns is specially cater for tourists throughout the year. The interesting part will be the railway tracks in between the old streets.

Not preparing for any hiking, I saw the stairs leading up to the Guan Yin Zhan Si, Pu Tor Shan, with Buddhism interest; I was intrigued to find out more. What I discovered is more than just a mountain, there is a Zen master residing in that temple. I pay my respect, their warm hospitability immediately lights up. I stay and chat; in between they offer me pineapple and a glass of tea. The pineapple in Taiwan is extremely delicious!

We discuss how in this world, we follow blindly on certain teachers and not understanding the true teachings of Buddha. We rely on everything including Buddha for our enlightenment but not realizing our innate ability towards enlightenment. We differentiate everything in our life, male or female, short or tall, fat or slim, gay or straight, Mahayana or Theravada but in actual fact there’s nothing to compare about. There is nothing in the form of our perception. A blind man will not be able to make a distinction. On the other hand, we are blinded by our senses. Thus, not able to differentiate is a way to equality and emptiness.

After our discussion, his disciple ask if I could translate the master’s article, Buddhism and Science in English, hopefully able to provide more understanding for the people living in Singapore, now, that’s a task more gratifying than climbing the mountain.

I continue my journey up to the mountain, with my new found spirit, I feel uplifted till I stumble the near the peak of the mountain, where the narrow intensely dangerous above the ground stairs caught my legs shaking, I swear I almost pee when I take the first steps up on the mountain. The feeling turns 360 degree when I reach the peak by myself, looking up the sky, the feeling is incredible. I challenge myself and I did it!

JingTong and ShiFen somehow have the same vibe. The nostalgic streets somehow brings you back to your parents era, I heart PingXi!




























No comments:

Post a Comment