Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wat Bang Phil Yai Klang







Everyone thinks that the largest reclining Buddha is at Wat Pho, Bangkok. However, after doing some research the longest reclining Buddha in Thailand is at Bang Phil, Wat Bang Phil Yai Klang.

This is really a difficult temple to find but it’s all worth it. I took a bus 25 as what the website has mentioned thinking it’ll get me directly to Wat, only to be told by the bus driver to transfer another bus 132 in the middle of the road. Once I’ve reached Bang Phil, the lady told me to hop on a red (Si daeng) Songthaew at the opposite side of the road. In order to make sure (It’s always good to double check when you’re backpacking), then to realize it’s the blue (Si Fah) Songthaew that will get me to the temple. With all the confusion came a man whom asked me to hop on a motorcycle instead. (Motorcycle is a kind of public transport; usually they will wear an orange or blue vest, of course, this kind of transport can only take one passenger) I jump on the bike without a helmet, open up my legs wide apart at the back of the motorcyclist and I must say it’s exhilarating!! The best part about taking a motorcycle is that you can squeeze through the busy traffic and get to your destination faster by 85%.

What’s amazing about this reclining Buddha is not just the size only, I know size matters ;) but it is in fact you can enter the reclining Buddha and unravels 4 storeys of wall murals depicting Buddha’s life story, the various realms of existence and even a simple story of how Avalokitesvas saves the sentient beings. It makes me reflect the bad deeds I’ve done and need to be avoided. Also, the compassion we must possess for everyone.

The surprise comes when you slowly navigate the wide long pathway from the first floor leading up to a narrow room that accommodates a human heart covered with gold foil. It’s believed to be the heart of Buddha which of course is the star piece adorned by everyone…

With all my gratitude to all the Thai locals whom gave me direction, regardless what the people said about the Tuk Tuk driver in Thailand, all in all, kindness is everywhere, you just need to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment