Thursday, April 30, 2009

300409 Thursday – Marble Mountain, Hoi An, Vietnam











Victory Day (Ngày Chiến thắng), is a public holiday in Vietnam that marks the occasion Viet Cong and North Vietnamese troops captured Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City) on April 30, 1975. This signalled the end of the Vietnam War. To show my patriotism, I wore a red T-shirt that depicts the Vietnam flag to visit one of the most stunning mountains in Vietnam,
Marble Mountains (Vietnamese: Ngũ Hành Sơn; "Five elements mountains") is a cluster of five marble and limestone hills located in Ngu Hanh Son ward, south of Da Nang city in Vietnam. The five 'mountains' are named after the five elements; Kim (metal), Thuy (water), Moc (wood), Hoa (fire) and Tho (earth).

I’ve read my guide book that it cost USD$12 for one way to the mountain by taxi. However, I find another alternative, motor transport for USD$10 inclusive of return. Sometimes, it’s best to be resourceful without following everything blindly from the guide book. In this case, I save USD$14. I arrange the motorcycle to pick me up from my hotel. Every now and then, the best way to travel is to ride a bike and let the air blow your face.
All of the mountains have cave entrances and numerous tunnels, and it is possible to climb to the summit of one of the peaks. Several Buddhist sanctuaries can also be found within the mountains, making this a famous tourist destination.

Around the temple, there are shops selling all sorts of marble souvenirs. The area is famous for stone sculpture making and stone-cutting crafts.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on an interesting Blog and some fine photographs of Hoi An. Thank you very much for sharing the experience!
    Regards from Cape Town,
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete