Wednesday, April 29, 2009

280409 Tuesday – Hue, Vietnam





After a long one and a half day bus trip, I finally reach Hue; it was the imperial capital of the Nguyễn Dynasty from 1802 to 1945.
As time is running out (7 days left before I return to Singapore), I freshen up and arrange a motorcycle for $150,000 Dong to unravel this old city. The seat of the Nguyen emperors was in the Citadel, which occupies a large, walled area on the north side of the river. Inside the citadel was a forbidden city where only the concubines, emperors, and those close enough to them were granted access, the punishment for trespassing being death. Today, I however able to step into the Forbidden City without facing any intimidation, just a hefty $55,000 Dong entrance fee. If you like, you can even pay to wear the dragon robe to be an emperor for a day.

It’s hard to believe the history of Citadel is only 100 – 200 years old. The architecture looks like it belongs to centuries old. I’ve a wonderful time exploring this ancient city.
Later at night, I wander around the town. It’s so hard to find vegetarian food. I really tried. Sometimes, I just eat bread or instant noodle to substitute my hunger. Honestly, Vietnamese food is not something that I enamor. Even in Cambodia, I can find good, cheap and delicious fried noodle. Not many food stalls I can find along the streets unlike Thailand. However, you do get rickshaw driver coming up to you and ask if you want lady for USD$5. It must be granny without any teeth. I seriously think that this only happen to me in Vietnam. Not even in Thailand, have anyone ask if I need a “lady” perhaps most man already know where to source but in Cambodia, mostly they’ll ask if I want ecstasy, marijuana or poppers but in Vietnam do I look that desperate? Let me remind all of you again that I’m still a virgin.

Come on, give that granny a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment