Saturday, April 11, 2009

100409 Friday - Kachanaburi





I heart Kachanaburi! Every obstacle I face reaching the Kachanaburi is well-worth it! The day before I was apprehensive about the local transport but it turns out it’s easy as snapping a finger. Sometimes you just have to let go your fear, what’s the worst that could happen? Paying 100Baht for the taxi to get back to your guest house?

Usually, when you travel to Thailand, the next best transportation beside bus (I’m a cheapskate) is the Songthaew as some of the places you need to visit is located in a long straight road. The Si-Som (Orange) Songthaew in K only cost 10 Baht for every single trip and I can alight anywhere I like.
I’ve made my plan the day before to visit a few places, Death Railway Museum, Kachanaburi Cemetery where I try to locate the soldier who was born on the same day as me, the famous River Kwai Bridge, the Art Gallery and World War Two Museum.

Since Death Railway Museum is not far away from my guest house, I decided to try my town walking to the museum knowing I’ve seen it along the motorcycle ride from the bus station to my guesthouse. The admission ticket 100 Baht is quite pricey nonetheless you got a free tea to go along. The exhibition of how the soldiers were tortured to build the Thailand-Burma Railway is horrifying. The narration of the living conditions of the soldiers building the bridge is disconcerting. It’s shocking to see how a person can do such heinous crimes to another person. The Japanese left this part of the important history missing from their text book just so they could avoid the shame their ancestor have done.The most touching moment are the exhibits of the letters they received from their family and also some of the personal belongings left by the soldiers. Most farang (foreigners) in the museum look at me in a strange way, probably thinking that I’m Japanese. Luckily I’m alive when I step out of the museum.

Opposite the museum is the war cemetery, for the fun of it, I spend my time unraveling the soldiers that was born and died on the same day as my birthday.

I than took the Songthaew to the River Kwai Bridge. It was fantastic! It looks very historical and majestic especially underneath the bridge is the river Kwai. There even have a 10 mins train ride for you to go across the river Kwai bridge! It’s breathe-taking! Around the bridge, there are a lot of stalls selling Burmese jade. At first, I wanted to buy one for my mum but then think about it she will most probably nag at me of wasting money.
After visiting the river Kwai Bridge, I walk to the Art gallery and World War Two museum. It’s quite a bizarre museum open by a local rich Chinese merchant. They exhibits the murals of the all the Thai Kings that rules from the Lanna Kingdom to the Chakri dynasty. Not to mention they even have a wall mural of the past Miss Thailand. The eighties Miss Thailand hair sure seem to be huge ;) The view from the roof top is amazing particularly when you see the river Kwai Bridge.

All in all, K makes me reflect about DEATH. It’s a taboo to talk about. It’s not an experience somewhat we’re able to describe. It’s not something we anticipate. It’s not something we can try to reverse.

But, if we take the time to understand it, we’ll eventually realize that there is no escape from death. It’s only when we accept these facts then we’re able to know how to liberate ourselves and live everyday of our life fullest.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Kachanaburi before about 10 yrs ago. It left quite a deep impression on me because it greatly disturbed me then to know that such a peaceful, beautiful place was the place where great atrocities were inflicted. It was very sad. I remember leaving the place thinking that "War is never justified" - a stand that I hold up till today.

    ReplyDelete