Monday, April 13, 2009

130409 Monday – Si Saket







Si Saket is such a beautiful place, gorgeous people, friendly service and gastronomical Isaan food, more so because of the SP Boutique hotel I stay, S$17 can get you a studio apartment with a balcony per night. Life can be so beautiful in Si Saket!

It is a medium sized sleepy town, ideal for those wanting an “authentic” Thai experience. The population is about 30,000 and the numerous majestic Khmer ruins are impressive.

After the long 8 hours bus trip from Krung Thep, I was totally depleted. I arrive in the wee hours only to realize that the check in is only available around 10am. I slept at their sofa before the room is available for check in. As today is the first day of SongKran, I can’t wait to see what happen next. Immediately, after my shower, I soon experience overall wetness!! The peaceful town soon becomes a war of Children splashing one another, not even the adults were spare!

Songkran is the Thai New Year, deriving from the Sanskrit, it means to pass or move into. In this context, it means passing and moving of the sun, moon and other planets, astrologically speaking it’s a new cycle for another round of zodiacal orbit.

On this day, Thai people go to the temple, making an offering consisting of flowers, incense and candles to the Buddha follow by sprinkling lustral water. From the past till now, people believe water splashing will induce abundant rain for the crops. Water is also a symbol of fertility and is used to cleanse and avoid unfortunate events.

I hope the good intended meaning of this Songkran will wash away the protest in Bangkok for good and thanks everyone for sending their concern to me through Facebook, SMS and MSN. It’s only at this moment of time; I can truly sentiment the wishes of my good chums.
Chok Dee na krup! (Good Luck)

No comments:

Post a Comment