Thursday, April 23, 2009

200409 Monday – Siem Reap, Cambodia

The Angkor temple tour is not for the faint hearted. I mean the steepest and tallest stairs you can ever encounter, make that a few flights of stairs (I’m fear of height). Multiply it by 8, that’s the number of times you’ve climbed up & down plus the hottest weather like boiling hot and sand flying in the air then into your eye. Water gulping in every 5 seconds. Of course, lastly it’s all about money, isn’t it? USD$20 (S$30) for one day pass, USD $10 (S$15) for the motorcyclist, in additional the USD $5 (S$7.50) lunch on the roadside. It’s only fried noodle plus it’s without meat. I’m not complaining but I wish someone could have warned me beforehand.
Nonetheless, is it worth it? Yes! Is it impressive? No. I guess I’ve heard so much about Angkor Wat and Tomb Raider in Angelina Jodie movie is not helping but build up my expectation. To me, it’s just massive rock architecture with engravings. There is no huge and highly embellished Buddha sculptures and it’s kind of messy, the way all the unwanted rocks lying around the temple. I’m deeply disappointed. Come on Cambodia, you can do better than that!

The route for my one Angkor temple tour;

Phnom Bakeng > Angkor Thom (Bayon temple) > Chau Say Thevoda > Thommanom > Ta Keo > Ta Prohm > Banteay Kdei > Sras Srang > Prasat Kravan > Angkor Wat

No comments:

Post a Comment