Sunday, April 12, 2009

120409 Sunday




This is the first time I’ve ever witness a protest on the street. What can I say? I live in the lion city. I felt the persistence and determination even more from the Thai people towards the government especially on this day, Songkran (Thai New Year). Thai people usually reserve their resentment by not showing their discontent in the public. They even have a phrase, Jai Yen Yen which means cool it down to resolve any unhappy situation. This is however unlikely to cool the fervor of the Thai people, not even prickly heat powder.

I was supposed to enjoy a series of water splashing but what I didn’t expect is on my way back to Siam sky train station, the heavy traffic that used to don on the road of Siam Paragon has turn into a pool of Si Daeng (red) polo-t. Thankfully, I’m not wearing any red color top to make my stand. I also try to avoid red underwear to certain extent. ;)

I’m not going to comment much about Thailand politics because it’s not my place to critique but what I would like to share is that Thailand is a great nation once under the rule of King Rama 4, Mongkut during the Chakri dynasty. It is the only country in Asia that was not been intervened or invaded. The king whom wrote to Queen Victoria and keeps their foreign policy diplomatically is the envy of South East Asia. What we don’t realize is that before Mongkut becomes the King, he was a monk for 44 years. A great nation can rule with immense compassion, if only we don’t let our ego get in our way. The world can be a better place to live in...

No comments:

Post a Comment