Sunday, September 5, 2010

India Pilgrimage 03.09.2010

I bumped into Luna when she is on her way to Ngympal monastery for circumambulation. I suggested that she circumambulate around the temple instead as it is more scenic. Last year, John and Heidi recommended me to take this route. We rolled the prayer wheels along the way and I told her a little about Buddhism and how life in Singapore is.

After we completed the circumambulation, we part our ways, as today is her last day and last time she’ll be in Dharamshala. She would like to spend some time alone in the temple to reflect her travelling experience but we promise to meet up later in Rongpa café, a café whom support the Tibetan refugees’ initiatives.

On my way to Rongpa cafe, I dropped by a shop to get a prayer beads and a hand phone pouch. The India shop owner is very inquisitive about my life; maybe I shouldn’t been so chatty. He asked about my solitary life and my interest on Buddhism and how some of his Christian relatives want to convert him. I told him human beings have that innate weakness of depending on a higher and supreme figure for salvation. It’s the easiest way to believe in the higher authority so we don’t have to rely on our own ability for our problems in our life. Our aloneness intimidates us. True happiness should come inside of you and not externally. External happiness can only last for a while and you’ll have to keep pursuing like a bottomless hole.

Last year, I came across Rongpa café and was inspired by their effort for supporting the Tibetan refugees. Thus, this year, I wanted to stay in Dharamshala longer to volunteer in this cafe as a shop assistant or barista. I found out from the Korean volunteers in Rongpa Café that they do require shop assistant in the morning. Without hesitation, I sell myself to the manager and got the job :) she told me to report at 8.30 am the next morning. I’m elated.


I met Luna back in the Rongpa café. We went in search of a monk whom she had taught English for 2 days. Knowing I’ll be a good successor to continue her volunteer work but sadly we can’t locate him and the rain is pouring. We then went to a Korean café as she is missing her hometown food. The Kimchi hot & spicy soup noodle is such a great comfort in this cold and wet weather. After some discussion and contemplation, I decided to drop the idea of visiting Nepal, Lumphini and Kamandthu as my visa is not able for reentry unless there is a 2 months interval. It’s disappointing but life goes on without considering your feelings. On the other hand, maybe changing the route meant for a greater purpose. I made a choice to visit Sanchi and Ajanta as a substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment