Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 2 – KL > Colombo

I took a really early flight from KL to Colombo at 6am, not wanting to spend the extra money on midnight cab; I left my guesthouse just slightly before midnight, catching the train from Pasar Seni > KL central. Well, let’s say it’s going to be a long night. I reach the KL Central station around midnight, and waited for the AeroBus arrive around 1.30am before the bus driver drives to the LCCT airport.

KL airport is one of the airports that provide free Wifi, at least for 3 hours. I waste my time surfing the internet and watching an old funny movie clip that my sister had sent me in facebook. Laughing so loudly in the wee hours that everyone started to crowd behind me thinking what’s this lunatic watching? I then took my hot cakes breakfast in Macdonald before I slept my way on the plane to Colombo.


Once arrived in Colombo, my heart beams with excitement, I didn’t really have a good vibe during my last trip in Burma, perhaps till to the military situation, for more on that, read this entry

Touching down in Colombo, there is this sense of bliss, perhaps the serene white Buddha that gaze over me near the immigration counters overcome whatever fears I might have for this trip. Immigration is a breeze, after picking up my backpack, I went straight to the bank counter to exchange my currency, I’m glad Singapore currency is prevalent in this country even though the rates is not favourable (S$1 = Rps:86) but I do need some cash for my local bus going ahead to Mount Lavinia.

I took a free shuttle bus to Averiwatte bus station; from there I took another bus 187 to Colombo fort railway station, the journey is an eye-opening especially since this is the first time I’m in Sri Lanka. The people siting butt to butt close to you, passengers giving up seats to the monk, listening to Pali sutta (scripture) chanting in Bollywood Pop arrangement, Mother Mary and Jesus statues on the corner of the roads opening up their arms welcoming you, Buddha in mediation posture sitting in front of huge Bodhi tree and Buddhist iconography displaying on the vehicles, it’s interesting how a 2 hours bus journey slowly reveals what kind of lifestyle and culture the Sri Lankans adopt here.



I made a change from bus to train following up to my destination: Mount Lavinia. The train ride is beautiful; you see ocean views right from the window seat. The winds that caress your face makes you feel like visiting Sri Lanka is a right choice. A kind local prompt me which station to alight, from the station I took a tuk tuk to Mount Lavinia Home Stay. I met Mrs Priya, a friendly house owner, whom is very attentive. I then drop dead on my bed till to the jetlag, overnight travelling and the 180 minutes time lapse.

I woke up around 4pm, exploring the town and the nearby beach. It’s full of locals flying kites, playing cricket & kicking ball on the beach. I’m certain I'm the only Asian; I’m surprised they are not a lot of tourist or backpackers. I sure look like an alien to them, and standing at 1.78m sure doesn’t help. They look at you, in a friendly and awkward sort of manner, some locals even come up and say hello. With my stomach growling, I then check out the eateries, hoping I can get a first taste of Curry and Rice in Sri Lanka. I take away my dinner, knowing it’ll be good to eat in my room, enjoying my me time while watching DVD, a movie I bought in KL, I love Philip Morris before I fall into a very much needed and long sleep…




Transport
Aero Bus from KL Sentral > LCCT: RM8
Bus Ride from Averiwatte bus station > Colombo Fort Railway Station: Rps: 100
Train fare from Colombo Fort Railway > Mount Lavinia: Rps: 50
Tuk tuk from Mount Lavinia Train station > Mount Lavinia Home stay: Rps: 150

Sleep
Mount Lavinia Home Stay
17/7 Off De Saram Road Mount Lavinia
Rps: 1300 for a single person

I love the size of the bedroom. It’s huge with 2 high ceiling fans. Free Wi-Fi is definitely a bonus. The toilet is really clean with Jasmine flower scent, personally not my favourite scent but I can make do with it comparing other unknown unpleasant odour. 2 single beds with colourful, inviting and cheerful bed sheet cover bring a smile to my face. Location is good, walkable distance to the beach, cafés and restaurants.


Eat
Kushmi Foods - 201 Galle Road, Mount Lavinia.

Vegetarian Fried Rice with Soy Curry (Rps: 150) – Simply delectable, the soy curry seems to have squishy mushroom in it, the rice unlike India, is crushed, tiny and broken sort of manner. It’s flavourful; the preserved vegetable is salty yet tasty. Even though the appearance of the curry looks like shit but I still love it! Eating with my hands is authentic and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment