Saturday, February 26, 2011

The end is the beginning and the beginning is the end

I understand I probably shouldn’t start my first entry on why I “fled” Myanmar in a hurry but I truly believe this is what I can do if I decided to continue where I’ve traveled hopefully in the near future.

1) Fearful locals and aristocratic government
I know I probably shouldn’t mix my travelling with politic but it does affect one another. My initial idea is that once Aung San Su Ki is released from house arrest, the people might have more freedom of speech or human rights but I though wrongly. When I was travelling from Yangon to kyaiktiyo, there are numerous military checkpoints. At one point, my bus conductor look at me frantically, asking for my passport as the officer approaching my seat, the fear in his eyes haunted me, what has he done wrong to deserve this? I’m so worried if I said the wrong words or gesturing a wrong move, I’ll get him into serious trouble. The locals do fear at some point associating themselves with the foreigners.

2) No Freedom of web surfing
The government blocked most of the American email accounts like Google, Yahoo, hotmail and even Coca-cola is not allowed to sell in Myanmar (you can get it in the black market but still can find it on the supermarket shelves manufactured by Singapore). Why then let the people have internet services if you’re blocking their rights to read the world news! My company webmail has been blocked too. Booking an air ticket is so troublesome till to the slow network time out. Funny enough the only website that can be easily access is the Facebook and who is the founder? An American, yes you can catch his story on the pirated DVD selling in Aung San market.

3) Third world country but developed country price
Can you imagine the food prices are 20% slightly lower than Singapore food court or Macdonald? The admission fees to the temples are about USD8 – 10 dollars. Even entering the bus terminal and taking pictures in the temple have to pay. Everything is overcharge and who is earning? The junta government!

4) Doesn’t make sense
I took a bus from Yangon to Golden rock is 6000 Kyat the coming back from Golden rock to Yangon is 9000 Kyat, I wonder where has the extra 3000 kyat goes to? Then sitting in the big truck on the way up to the mountain is 2000 Kyat in the front seats with the driver then on the way back sitting and squeezing with the locals on the wooden log bench is 1500 kyat, my goodness where is the consumer rights?

5) Creativity unfound
I breathe in creativity, everywhere I go, the local handicrafts, street fashion, bookstore or the food can be a great inspiration to me. But in Yangon, since that’s the longest period I’ve stayed in Myanmar. My creativity died down nearly to an extend I was asked to redesign a poster from my client, even the men wearing the long skirt (longyis) and face powdered with sandalwood (tanakha) cannot be inspirational. I almost feel suffocated without the air I breathe in creativity!

After the emotional turmoil, I still believe in the nature of human goodness, I'll definitely want to visit Myanmar again but maybe and maybe not this time. Ming gala ba (Burmese translated as it's a blessing)

2 comments:

  1. It is sad hor to see a majestic country of Myanmar being reduced to such. It is a tragedy ongoing daily. This country is probably the richest in the 60s in the region and today it is likely to be the poorest.

    I think with your deeper sensitivity, you find it hard-going to be in the place for long. Maybe can go back when politics is resolved there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PK, you're so right! I'm so sensitive about What I've seen and I can't sit back and do nothing and to do something means to create chaos and trouble for myself. Maybe when the politics is all over!

    ReplyDelete