Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 3 – Another day in Mount Lavinia

This place started to grow on me; it must be the laid back demeanor and the sea breeze. I woke up early extending one more night from Mrs. Priya, exploring the northern side of the town and discover the Sunday market. Food is always part of a country dominant culture, ever since I’m a vegetarian; I’m fascinated with the myriad of fruits and vegetables. I found something really interesting, even though it’s hard to try it because it needs to be cooked, but the unripe jackfruit cutting into small pieces seems intriguing, I wonder how it’s going to be cooked.





On my way to the market, I saw a Buddhist temple, it’s not an astounding temple but the peace and tranquil captures my attention, I then met a monk at his Kuti (monks quarter) without knowing the main hall is locked, he politely insisted that I wait for him at the main hall while he goes get the key. I’m comforted by the main Buddha statue, the halo around the Buddha is a bit tacky but the wall painting of Maitreya (the future Buddha) speaks to me especially in a Theravadian temple. What amazes me is the creativity of the candle stands shaping in Bodhi leave and Dharma wheel. How creative! I left after making my dana (donation), there is quite a lot of Singaporeans coming to this temple judging from the records.






Eat or Drink

Bright Orange Coconut Rps: 25
Oh the bright orange coconut I saw on the floor at the market, with numerous local drinking on the spot is tempting. I got one to try, not as sweet as I hope to be but it sure helps to quench my thirst on this hot day.



Strawberry homemade ice-cream Rps: 20
I saw an old man riding a bicycle with a box behind saying homemade ice-cream, I immediately stop him and ask for one, even though he doesn’t know how to speak English, he sure give me something sweet and pink :), a strawberry flavor ice-cream. I was kind of reluctant in the beginning for I know the wafer will somehow get into contact with his hand, well, why worry so much, Just “eat” it. I’m happy to report no diarrhea ensues.


Vegetable fried noodle with Egg Rps: 90
Not the best thing I’ve eaten on earth, the big portion intimidates me a little, there is no taste in it, bland, thank goodness for the chili!


Ratthi Yoghurt Curd Rps: 22
This is a must try in Sri Lanka, yogurt that looks like soya bean curd, the texture is the same but instead of soya, it’s yogurt. Unique blend of texture with the flavor. Absolutely adore it! It’s going to be my desert for every meal in Sri Lanka! Available in all supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment