Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 7 – Galle > Nuwara Eliya

After further thoughts, I decided to catch the 6am early bus to Ella. I reach the bus terminal around 5:15am, making sure I can catch the bus with a better seat. As all travellers will tell you, plan not to plan, I found that there is no bus to Badulla, however there is a bus from Galle to Nuwara Eliya.

With that in mind, I go straight to take the bus to Nuwara Eliya, my second best option. It’s one of my most uncomfortable bus rides, of course beside the bus ride I took from Delhi to Dharamshala. I swear my ass was in pain with my stomach churning, even though I did get a good seat right in front where I can stretch my long legs but I decided to sacrifice it for my 90 litres backpack and after the tedious 9 hours bus ride, I finally reach Nuwara Eliya.

Usually, there’ll be some men approaching you for accommodation near the bus station. Sometimes, you take a gamble and get unexpected results. So I choose not to follow my guide book blindly this time and decided to go for one of their recommendations. The room wasn’t that bad, it’s clean and neat, and it comes with a balcony. The only thing is that he told me initially it’ll be Rps: 1000 rather than Rps: 1500 per night so I give up and took a tuk tuk to the Single tree hotel suggested by the Guidebook. In the end, they told me, it’s the full moon holiday, yes you heard right, they do celebrate full moon like werewolves “religiously”. That means Sri Lankans don’t work in full moon, it’s a holiday for them. The room rates increase to Rps: 2500 per night which is not within my budget, so they suggest I check another hotel, Victoria Inn which is Rps: 1500 per night. After the disappointment from Single tree hotel, the worst is yet to be over.

They drove me to Victoria Inn which I’m sure they’ll get commission somehow. My jaws dropped when they show me a servant room, yes like the room in the basement where the servant sleeps, pathetically basic and dark. Now I regret not taking the room I first have seen. I reluctantly accept it, knowing I might take some time to search for another accommodation, sky is turning dark and freezing cold.

I dropped off my bag and as much as possible leave the room just for sleeping while I spent most of my time out of the servant’s room. I then realized the room that I have first seen is just 2 buildings away from where my current room. Damm it! If only I take the chance to wander around a little longer! Well, accept it and make the situation a little better, it’s only for one night.

I explore the touristy town, have my dinner and discover the central market sell mostly winter wear, if Singapore is not a tropical country, I might get a few but I got my jacket with me and useless to wait for Singapore to have winter so I headed to the supermarket, and since the supermarket sell DVD, I think I’ll get some snacks and just watch the movie to waste my time.

When I got back, the caretaker say I can change my room which I requested earlier. My goodness! I feel like 5 stars upgrade immediately. I’m so grateful that I almost want to tip him. The room on top is so much better even though can be better but I’m not complaining after spending 10 minutes in the servant room. Thus, regardless, I’m leaving this touristy uninspired town tomorrow first thing in the morning. Maybe to Haputale, you never know.

Transport
Bus from Galle > Nuwara Eliya – Rps: 300



Sleep
Victoria Inn – Single room for 2 - Rps: 1500
After the upgrade from the servant room, I wouldn’t have recommended it as well. It’s not the cleanest or the dirtiest room in town. I just don’t feel good tossing and turning over their beds. Shame on Single Tree Hotel for suggesting this hotel.


Eat
Egg fried noodles - Rps: 280
Same old same old as what I’ve eaten for the past few times from other eateries except this time more chili needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment