Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 4 – Mount Lavinia > Galle

After a fantastic stay in Mount Lavinia, I bid farewell to Mrs Priya, walk by foot to Templer road where I get a bus from Mount Lavinia to Galle. It wasn’t hard to find the Templer road, what I was not expecting is the ordinary Bus stop is consider as Bus terminal, it’s a bit far stretched judging by the look of it. I then catch an “express” bus to Galle for the next 3hours. The bus conductor is very friendly; he gave me a 5Rps discount for my bus fare (maybe he doesn’t like coins or I’m just cool looking ; ) and even asked a male passenger to give up his seat for me which I kindly declined, I dislike partialities treatment. The bus driver even makes space for my 90litres backpack, that’s what I call 5 stars service, Singaporean!

Once I arrived in Galle, the colorful flags and policemen with the tight heavy security seems to be a grand affair, I know I’m not a VIP but seriously this VIP treatment is going too far ; ) I later heard from the Tuk Tuk driver is not me they are receiving. It’s the President Mahinda Rajapaksa opening the newly renovated bus terminal from the one destroyed by the tsunami several years ago that is causing this commotion.

Under the hot weather and the crowd, I catch a tuk tuk to my guesthouse where I met the Siti, the mother of the guesthouse owner Suhami. This is a family business passing down from her mother since 1968. She shows me the room and I immediately adore it. After settling down, I went straight out to grab my lunch, then as I’m about to leave the doorway, I saw a guy, Scott from Australia, without sounding like a stalker since I’ve not spoken to anyone more than 4 sentences for the past 3 days, I ask him if he is going to lunch, he said yes, I told him I stay in the same guesthouse as him and if I may join him for lunch, well, at this point who can say no? : )

He initially suggest a café facing the beach, sunset café, unfortunately it is closed, we then venture out of the fort to a local restaurant, I ordered a vegetable egg noodles while he ordered a vegetable fried rice, I was joking about the huge portion of food that the restaurant was serving to the 3 petite ladies, it really is something you don’t get to see in Singapore, it’s a rarity! Not even 3 men eat that much food, when it comes to our turn, I suggest to take away half of my portion for dinner.

I then begin to know more about, Scott. He is a doctor under placement at one of the hospital in Galle. He has been staying in Beach Haven for almost 3 weeks, a really humble, helpful and sincere chap. After lunch, we headed to the supermarket next door where I get my Yogurt curd and he gets his ice-cream. We then went straight back to our guesthouse.

After a nap, I started to explore around the fort surrounded by the ocean right besides my guesthouse, the scenery is breathtaking, and there is even a lighthouse which is inspiring turning the lights non-stop every night guiding the lost ships… As I stroll along the fort facing the ocean, I can’t help but to wonder, what have I done right to deserve this solitary happiness?


Transport
Bus from Mount Lavinia > Galle – Rps: 100 (I got a Rps: 5 discount from the conductor)
Tuk Tuk from Galle Bus station > Beach Haven Guesthouse – Rps: 200 (I got ripped off, it should be around Rps: 100 -150) with 15kg backpack on my shoulders, I wasn’t really thinking)

Sleep
Beach Haven – 65 Light street road, Single room – Rps: 1000
A cozy place to stay! Location is good! The room on the ground level even though looks like it’s for the dwarf mainly till to the narrow doorway is clean and inviting. I especially love the mosquito net hanging on the celling, makes it much more “secure” to sleep. The rooms on top have much better view and a communal corridor with seats outside the room to chill. Free WiFi.


Eat
Vegetable Egg noodle – Rps: 180
The taste of the noddle is slight better than yesterday but still can be better; I guess chili does help to elevate the taste more.

No comments:

Post a Comment