Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 5 – Galle

I still have a hard time pronouncing the name of this town, Galle, “Gaul” or the closest I can think of is earthworm in Hokkien, the first letter “Gao” Hun. Anyway, as long as you don’t make me repeat it like a mantra, I guess it is fine. However, this town is not difficult at all; the historic fort that built by the Dutch is impressive, the buses are labeled clearly where to go, also, everywhere you go, you’re surrounded by the ocean, How can it be difficult to love this town? At times, you pass by the fishermen with their boats, at the roadside selling their catch. It does smell fishy : )





I left my guesthouse early after the recommendation from Suhami’s husband yesterday that I should visit this old Buddhist temple, Wijeyananda temple. He even drew a map and asks me to follow religiously; apparently, the whole family dislikes the tuk tuk driver ripping off the tourist so he advises me best to travel by foot. I got lost half way and so I took the tuk tuk, within 5 minutes I reach the temple. It’s a very tranquil and quiet temple. No tourist to be seen and I saw a few novice monks studying at one corner, there is this young novice monk following me and showing me around the temple, I first step into the main hall, Vihara to pay my respects to the Buddha, Seriously, the temple is like a museum, with all the life stories of Buddha depicted in life size sculptures surrounding the main altar. I swear I saw Angulimala with his 999 fingers dangling fearlessly.






I take some time to absorb the serenity but the young novice monks are very interested in talking to me as a foreigner, since their English is not that good, I communicate with a lot of hand gestures. After I left the temple, I walked back to the main street and passed by a bookstore and bought a book on the Great Kings of Singhala, a good background read before I venture to the ancient cities. On my way back, I met Scott, he suggest to visit the sea turtle conservation hatchery, without much though I jump into the idea and the tuk tuk provided by the guesthouse to the hatchery. It’s pretty disappointing as the man guided us like a monotonous robot, the hatchery is small with a few turtles, but I was very much intrigued by the 3 months “old” young turtles and touching the turtles make me realize how gentle and wonderful these creatures are. We left unfulfillingly.









On our bus journey back, a young boy spontaneously sat beside Scott, marvel at his camera when taking a picture of me, he keeps talking and singing non-stop, he is like a hyperactive energized bunny. At one point I mimic what he said and cause the passengers to laugh as well. He really cracks me up so high! I then stroll around the fort for a while before I went back to my “haven”, Beach haven guesthouse…





Transport
Tuk tuk from Matara road > Wijeyananda temple – Rps: 70
Tuk Tuk from Beach haven > Sea turtle hatchery (one way) – Rps: 350
Bus from Habaraduwa bus station near Sea turtle hatchery > Galle Bus station – Rps: 22

Eat & Drink
Mutarbak and Roti Prata galore – between Rps: 30 – Rps: 60
All sorts of Roti Prata wrap with curry potatoes filing and some with eggs and onions. Very full and filing.


EGB Ginger Beer
Carbonated drink in Ginger flavor, It's indeed refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment