Friday, July 18, 2008

Nan

You know there are some people you met that rubs you the wrong way, no matter what they do or say. For me, this instance is the town Nan. Don’t get me wrong Thai people are still as friendly. It’s just that the vibe I’ve got from this town. It’s a little…depressing! Unlike Chiang Rai which is a small province, it has character. For Nan, I think it’s the lack of character and the guest house I initially wants to stay in is closed for 2 weeks when I reached their front gate. Maybe it’s the low season...
Thus I ask the motorcyclist (Motorcycle is a kind of taxi transport, except it can only take one passenger) to take me to another guest house. Just when I thought nothing could be worse, my depression takes me to the next level. The guest house is clean but the surrounding is too quiet. It’s in the middle of the semi-detached houses. It seems like the living quarters for the rich people. Well, to make my day better, I rent a bicycle from the guest house and head to the town. It’s the same old same old bazaar that you can found in Thailand everywhere, unlike the bazaar in Chiang Sean. I had my late lunch cum dinner before returning to the guest house.

Back at the guest house since there is nothing much to do, I join the guesthouse owner and her mother watching the Thai TV channel. I corresponded with the eighty year old grandma while half comprehending the Thai news and what she was trying to tell me. Thankfully, the guesthouse owner did the translation for us. I love chatting with Ah Ma, it sure reminds me of my late grandmother. After the shower, I immerse myself with a good book and have an early rest for my next stop, Phrae.
The next day, the host of my guest house determines to change my perception on Nan by driving me around to the local temple, Wat Phumin. Have she not been persistence. I will have missed the highlights in my Thai bagpacking trip. The temple is suay mak mak (beautiful)

No comments:

Post a Comment