Sunday, November 1, 2009

20/10/09 (Tuesday) Dharamshala


There is no time for breakfast but I manage to get few muffins and a cup of tea along the way to the monastery.

As it’s the first day of the teaching, I worn the Tibetian costume, chupa I’ve bought from SOT to class. Just when I thought everything will get together smoothly, I actually forgot to bring my FM receiver for tuning into the English translation of DL teachings. As most of the DL teaching is in Tibetan.

When I was searching frantically in my bag, Alvin, friend I’ve known from Yfellowship, came to me and asked if I was waving to him and signaling to come over. I told him no and I forgot to bring my FM receiver from my guest house. Surprisingly, he explains why he was meant to come by as he got extra 2 sets of FM receivers. It turns out to be such a beautiful mistaken gesture!

I was asked to direct the various group to the teaching halls. The first day is quite chaotic and groups have no ideas where to go. I put on my best smile so as to lessen their confusion. Now I know being an air steward is not easy. Even so, everything is in order and awaiting the DL to arrive.

There is such a huge responses outside when he’s about to enter the hall. The excitement builds up from the exterior to the interior. When he steps into the hall, most people including me are grasping for air. The first time seeing Dalai Lama is amazing. I nearly scream as if I’m witnessing superstar on stage only he is more saintly and serene. What’s more amazing, is that DL decided to do his teaching in English and for certain part of his teaching that is not familiar in English, he’ll teach in Tibetan. He even says his English is terrible with a self-depreciating humor.

After lunch, I was brief together with Clarence and Ying Ying on the route and etiquette of holding the incense clearing the way for the Dalai Lama to the teaching hall. We have to go through a tight security check and thorough body search is needed. I feel like no one has touched me that “meticulously”. For the DL sake, I guess I’m willing to be desecrated.

While we’re waiting in the office for the DL to come, my mind flashes back to the movie, 7 years in Tibet I’ve watched in the past. The idea of how his life was once featured in the big screen now come face to face in person is awe-inspiring. At last, we saw him walking down from the slope. I greeted him and wish him long life for delivering Dharma. He thanks me and I almost melt in front of him. He is such a humble and sincere person. When chatting with almost anyone, he shows his appreciation and gratitude. He regards everyone like his family. That impression is certainly going to last in my memory for a long time.

Soon after the first day of teaching, I reflect my experience with Ching Wi in Rogpa café. We chatted about how we should approach our life to Dharma work and of course a trip to the Buddhist book store is necessary to finish off the day beautifully…

No comments:

Post a Comment