Sunday, November 1, 2009

17/10/09 (Saturday) Dharamshala


I met John and Heidi for breakfast at a café, coffee talk, near to the monastery. You can get Tibetan butter milk tea anywhere in Dharamshala but I choose the Tibetan herbal tea and an omelet for my morning wake-up call.

After breakfast, we went for sight-seeing and some retail therapy. There are many stalls along the long stretch of temple road all the way to the bus terminal. I especially wanted to get something for my mum so when I chance upon the mala (prayer beads), I know that will be the perfect gift. It’s something spiritually for her self-cultivation.

Somehow or rather, I got myself involved in the team organizing the Dalai Lama teaching tour. I’m really grateful for their hospitability. The least I can do is to render my services when needed. After inserting the passes for the participants, we decided to go for late dinner.

As it’s the Diwali (Depavali), festival of lights in India. We are all swarmed by the children playing fire crackers. It reminds me of Chinese New Year celebration where everything is in loud bang!

Why 108 on a mala?

A Japa mala' or mala (Sanskrit:माला; mālā, meaning garland is a set of beads commonly used by Buddhists, usually made from 108 beads, though other numbers, usually divisible by 9, are also used. Malas are used for keeping count while reciting, chanting, or mentally repeating a mantra. Malas are typically made with 19, 21, 27, 54 or 108 beads.

In traditional Buddhist thought, people are said to have 108 afflictions or klesas. There are six senses (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, and consciousness) multiplied by three reactions (positive, negative, or indifference) making 18 "feelings." Each of these feelings can be either "attached to pleasure or detached from pleasure" making 36 "passions", each of which may be manifested in the past, present, or future. All the combinations of all these things make a total of 108, which are represented by the beads.

In addition, practitioners of Vajrayana Buddhism, use the number 108 for a different purpose. After reciting 100 mantras, eight extra mantras are done to compensate for any errors

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japa_Mala

No comments:

Post a Comment