Friday, September 2, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 20 – Dambulla day trip to Sigiriya

I work up feeling afresh for my first city of the cultural triangular ancient sites, Sigiriya. I’ve heard a lot about a palace built on a huge rock but I really don’t know what to expect. This world UNSECO heritage site is one of the Sri Lanka most famous.

Near the entrance there is a sign saying noise may provoke hornet attacks, I’m sure it’s directed to me as most of my friends know I can’t keep my voice down.










From afar, the rock looks stunning. Something like an alien ship landed on the earth except it’s an interesting odd looking rock. The steps to the summit palace is interesting, it’s definitely not for someone whom is scared of height. Nonetheless, it’s exhilarating as the steps extended slightly from the edge of the rock makes it like an Indian Jones movie. The cave painting is indeed enchanting, the tara image of Avalokitesvara consort is captivating, there are also poets visiting the rock vandalising their thoughts on the rock surface. The view is 360 with cool winds blowing your mind away. There’s nothing left on top except for the foundation of the palace.

I went to the museum after the fascinating hike to the top. I was really thirsty, hoping to find my way out. As it’s a different way from where I come from, I went to a different direction and find myself lost in the forest. Thankfully, a kind local gave me a free ride to the main road to catch a bus back to Dambulla. On our way out of the forest, I saw a couple of elephants crossing over the road. It’s intriguing, one elephant following one. To appreciate his kindness, I gave him my Ghandara Buddha Card, with Kalama Suta printed on the back of the card. He dropped me off at on local convenience stall, which Coca Cola quench my thirst.

I went back to my guesthouse, take a rest and hopefully tomorrow will be as fruitful.

Know more about Sigiriya

Transport
Bus from Dambulla Bus station > Srigriya – Rps: 27 and Rps 30 (Return)

Food
Sordis & Ros – Rps: 30 each
It looks like samosa fill with curry potatoes and egg. Absolutely the best snacks!

Opus
Ball shaped like pancake plain or comes with egg available through request. It’s spicy, the sauce to dip but it’s alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment