Friday, September 2, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 23 – Dambulla > Anuradhapura

Making the most daytrips out from Dambulla, finally, its time to go. I left early by bus to the next ancient city, Anuradhapura. While waiting for the bus, the children on the school bus seems to be in good mood, singing and dancing on the bus, like a parade. I definitely don’t see this in Singapore; children were either quiet or relunctant to go to school. I think music is a good education. I sure grow with music.

Since it’s still early, I decided to make a day trip to Mihintale. A place where Mahinda, the son of King Asoka from India, brought Buddhism into Sri Lanka. On the bus to Mihintale, I saw a few salesmen, selling map, candy and toys. They seem really professional.

On arrival, I’m already prepared to climb long stairs on the way up to the temple. It seems like there are quite a lot of temples that need stamina to climb. The temple is serene especially the white Buddha statue in vitarka mudra on top of the rock looks magnificent. The steep stairway on the rock seem scary but once you overcome your fear, the view on top and that strong gushes of wind that blows your face will be all worth it. It indeed is a place worth my pensive thoughts.







Know more about Mihintale

Transport
Bus from Anuraphudura New bus station > Mihintale – Rps: 30 and Rps: 27 (Return)


Food
Curry and Rice with orange juice – Rps: 340

No comments:

Post a Comment