Friday, September 2, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 19 – Kandy > Dambulla

Cat and Kathy is heading to Sgriya by Dambulla, which is the same route to where I’m going except I won’t be going to Sgriya but Dambulla instead. We took a local private air-con bus from Kandy to Damulla, on our way, the bus passed by a huge golden Buddha statue, that’s where I know what’s in store for me. Nothing particular special about this town, it’s sandy and with a big wholesale vegetable market in the center of the town. Maybe it’s me or the town that is making me insecure especially after travelling for a week with a couple of girls. It started with Vicky and Sophie from Haputale to Arugam Bay, and then it was Cat and Kathy from Arugam bay to Dalhouise (Adam’s Peak) and later to Kandy. Now, I’m back in my solo travelling. It’s time for me to be alone with these ancient cities.

The road in Dambulla is sandy, with heavy traffic, walking on the side of the road is pretty irritating, with dogs barking at you and “long-lost relatives” coming up to you asking for money. It’s surely an unwanted factor choosing Dambulla as a base to the cultural triangle. Nonetheless, I make do with whatever geographical position has given me since it’s the center transport hub to the key ancient cities.

The tuk tuk driver is annoying me quite a bit. I needed internet connection quite urgently to reply an office email so I put my bag in the guesthouse and get out to the main road as soon as possible to search for an internet shop. When I ask him to bring me to the nearest internet shop, he said okay without realizing it’s only 2 mins walk from where I’m. My goodness, he really is something! After replying my office emails, I took a nap and did my laundry. I went to a local authorized Mobitel dealer to get a 3G SIM card after talking to the sales assistant in the I-Phone shop in Kandy that only Mobitel sim is compatible. After the activation, I feel like I’m back in the “real” world. I shouldn’t have just listen to Rob that my iphone is autolock by my telcom service provider in Singapore. Thankfully, I didn’t get a new phone just to use the local sim card just to make cheap phone calls to Singapore. Now I’m able to access Facebook and update my status wherever I’m in Sri Lanka.

As the day is early, I went to get a few DVDs to watch and relax myself before my day trip to Sgriya tomorrow.

Sleep
Oasis Tourist Inn – Double bed room for a Single – Rps: 650
I bargain for quite a while and finally get it for Rps: 650 just because I’m staying for 4 nights. It’s right across of the cave temples with a huge golden Buddha looking over. Rooms are slightly dark but clean and basic. Shared toilet but it’s not too far from my room just hoping Robert the guesthouse owner will not try hard to sell me “tour packages”.

Transport
Private aircon local bus from Kandy > Dambulla – Rps: 160


Food
Dhal Curry Mee Hoon – Rps: 150
Not absolutely fantastic, curry is cold. It tastes like Mutu Mayam with curry gravy. Simple but not memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment