Friday, September 2, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 18 – Another day in Kandy

Travelling with Cat and Kathy is absolutely delightful so far. Even though sometimes we are overly thoughtful to each other but that shows we don’t take anyone for granted. Our bills are always clear and transparent.

Interestingly, after climbing the Adam’s peak together (by the way my feet are now sore and aching). Three of us today each have different agenda. Cat wants to go to the elephant orphanage; Katy wants to go to the tourist information center near Tooth Relic temple to find out more about the bus timings for tomorrow daytrip while exploring the city, I decided to visit the tooth relic temple. I got a free audio tour from the temple which is decent and suffice if you like to know the background of the temple. The bookstore near the entrance also comes with a good selection of English Dharma books. Even though, it’s not the most fascinating temple, also, the relic is enshrined and not to be seen only on special occasion. However, just seeing how the tooth relic and the elephant, Raja who carries the tooth relic passing on from one temple to another venerated by the locals so highly in Sri Lankan culture is impressive. Also, the amount of flowers offering piling up in front of the shrine can make a lot of bees drool. The museum also has a very clear explanation of how the tooth comes about. Nonetheless, Buddha said whoever sees my teaching sees me, whoever sees me see my teaching so doesn’t matter how the relic is venerated, just understand and practice the Buddha’s teaching, that’ll be the highest order for all Buddhist.








I went back to my guesthouse; sort out my travel itinerary as I left only about a week. In the evening, we sat and eat with a French family at the backyard of the guest house which is delightful to end the day.

Entry Fee
Tooth Relic Temple - Rps: 1000



Food
Curry and Rice – Rps: 80
The cheapest meal I ever had in my whole life. It comes 5 different ingredients, lady’s finger, potato, peas, spinach with rice. Absolutely delicious, the variety mix with rice is fulfilling! Everything is cooked diligently with flavors!

Pink house Curry and Rice feast
Amazing settings at the backyard of Pink house. Different variety of dishes and interesting conversations with a Holland guy and French family. It feels like a family dinner and the food is delectable!

No comments:

Post a Comment