Friday, September 2, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 22 – Dambulla day trip to Polonaruwa

I woke up feeling afresh; thinking that nothing is going to annoy me, not even the traffic in Dambulla road. With this new found mental formation, I set off from my guesthouse, waiting one hour for the bus to Polonnaruwa, thanks for some guys on the bus that lie to me that this bus isn’t going to Polonnaruwa when a huge signage on top of the bus said so. Also, with the guide books fail to mention only bus heading to Kutegarma and Baticola will drop off in Polonnaruwa, rather than the direct bus from Kandy. Thankfully, kind locals and a policeman told me and signal me to get on the bus. Kind people do exists in Sri Lanka, quite a lot actually except for tuk tuk driver.

I think I got my expectation too high on Polonnaruwa, especially an impressive picture I saw in a travel magazine, that haunted me quite a while but in the actual site, it’s smaller than I thought and with an ugly metal shield covering the Buddha statues as roof top. I was quite depressed for a moment. Nonetheless, Gal Vihara is still a great site and it's still a masterpiece, Buddha statutes craved out from granite rocks. It’s not an easy task, especially making a heartless solid rock into a serene Buddha with an exquisite expression. The weather is hot to the core; I regret not getting an ultra-big umbrella. Also, the guide book suggest a bike to explore around the sites which I found it ludicrous because from the furthest north to south is only 4km apart. I rather he recommend ice pack and perhaps a fully air-conditioned car to get the heat off. You have to remove your shoe entering the holy sites which is unbearable till to the heat, a sock will be highly recommended too. Tons of water is needed. After the ancient site, I went back to the old town where the bus drops me for lunch, curry and rice is amazing! And the visit to the museum after that is helpful; I saw some of the pictures of the sites that I miss.






On my bus journey back to Dambulla, a man whom seems to be rather eager to stop, which I presume maybe he needs to pee or poo, since I saw such incident happens in the bus before, to my astonishment, he alighted the bus and bought himself an water melon, I giggle so hard and really, despereate for an watermelon, while the whole bus witness his selection on a good melon. I’m marvel at the local’s request.

When I return to the guesthouse, the old lady whom tends the place is extremely cheerful and sweet, she asked me if I would like to have tea, I obliged. We then sat and have a heartfelt conversation, she told me her husband died 5 years ago, and her 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl are not helping much except for the 3rd son. I paid her the accommodation, a little more than I should, advises her to let go of her worries, burdens and be happy, take someday off to Kandy next month to see the tooth relic procession. She even told me the first pot of the tea to the guest is on the house, her late husband insisted that’s the rule or etiquette for the house which I though it’s very sweet. She said she’ll make me a pot of tea tomorrow before I leave to Anuradhapura. Just then, I think to myself, however annoying the traffic in Dambulla is, you can’t beat the tea especially brewed from the old lady at my guesthouse. All that annoyance has turned into gratitude at the end of the day.

Know more about Polonnaruwa

Transport
Bus from Dambulla > Polonnaruwa – Rps: 73
Bus from Polonnaruwa > Dambulla – Rps: 80






Food
Curry and Rice, ice-cream with sprite (500ml) – Rps 260

No comments:

Post a Comment