Thursday, May 17, 2012

Kuching, 1st May - Gadung Gading National Park


It’s heartwarming to know strangers you met for hours welcome you with wide open arms, invite you to their world, and share their joy and laughter with you. That’s what I felt for the past few days in Kuching. Making home cook dinner, sharing their appetite for English pancake sprinkle with lemon and sugar. I do hope the world can live without strangers.

Today, with plan I’ve made with Imogen, we decided to hunt for the smelliest and largest flower in the world, Rafflesia. It’s our good fortune that it blooms around the time on our stay in Kuching. The best part of the trip is the bus journey I spent with Imogen, discussing about life, how someone or some incidents changes us to view life, knowing the worth of being a human being, knowing who we are and pursuing  what we want and not forgetting the people around us.

She is such a sensible, thoughtful and considerate person. It’s a joy to be with her and someone that reassures you what you value in life is not just a dream.  I feel fortunate to know this young lady, knowing she will have a bright and hopeful future ahead of her.

After the nice and enjoyable talk with her on the bus, we got down and continue the search for the rare Rafflesia. We share a taxi with 2 Swedish girls, when we arrived, we lost our way for a bit searching for Rafflesia, blame ourselves for not wanting to pay for a guide. Just then, we heard a group of tourist so we follow them and reach to an indistinct spot where this flower blooms. 


Seriously, it’s not as big as I would have imagined, size does matter, even though at the length of 60cm, it’s almost as big as a toilet bowl. I’m not that impressed. However, we did take a few pictures to marvel at this insect eating flower. Soon the flower will die, and life moves on.


With this trip in Kuching, I’ve made some incredible friends, and perhaps the trip wouldn’t be the same without their participation. I remember Andrew told me he loves this song by Goteye, somebody that I used to know; strangely this song was played on my flight when it's about to take off from Kuching. I’m glad to say that these are not my friends that I used to know…










No comments:

Post a Comment