Friday, August 5, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 12 – Another Day in Arugam Bay

There is a long table in Beach hut, where everyone from all around the world comes to this table in Arugam Bay. They came here to eat; at times you met new unfound friends; most of the times engaging into meaningful and interesting conversation with people you hardly know.

That’s what I do; I sat at the long table from morning till night, chatting non-stop with friends I’ve just met, like an international buffet except you use the mouth to talk not to eat. From the morning conversation, I got to learn 6 more languages, Thank you in (Hebrew) Toda, (Finish) kittos, (Danish, Sweddish) tak, (Swahili, Africa) Asante sana, (Austria) Dangka!

It’s funny how Vicky transforms herself in the morning, yesterday, she was drunk when she came back to our room and this morning, with more than enough sleep, you can see her glowing. That’s the power of beauty sleep my friend!



I then met Cat from Australia, she is hilarious, at first I thought she looks like a witch because of the candle she is lighting (it turns out to be a candle that give off scent to repel mosquitoes) and one minute later we just bonded like best friends. It’s interesting on the level of chemistry you have for someone in less than 5 minutes, I got to know a jewel designer, Joen whom is extremely creative and inspiring, the photo montage by using the rays of lights he has done is incredible. He is interested in my book, scared places, a pilgrimage in Sri Lanka so I lend it to him. Nick whom I’ve met yesterday told me about this Kudimbigala Buddhist cave about 30 km away from Arugam Bay which is also mentioned in my pilgrimage book triggers my interest. I check with the tuk tuk driver and it cost Rps 2500, a little too much for my budget so I decided to give that idea up, knowing someday I’ll be back in this beautiful country.




As the night goes, I get to know more friends, 2 Israeli guys, Danny and one who knows like Satan, an Irish couple, Paul and Sara whom come to Arugam Bay for honeymoon; they just had an adorable baby boy and Katy, friend of Cat. We talk about the past, present and the future then it turns into a poker game, Bullshitting. We have to put down the cards and trying to convince everyone that the card we put on the table is exactly what we shout out. It’s so fun! Seeing how Sophie can’t really lie  and catching people “bullshitting”.

Paul suggests going for a night dip and so I went, a daring move perhaps in my whole backpacking trip. It’s dark at night, barely can see anyone not to mention the strong waves but it’s indeed exhilarating!! Sara and Kathy even go topless! We then went back to the long table to continue our poker game; this time is a game with certain commands when you pull out certain numbers, for example J is a toilet card, 10 is to make a rule and 6 girls drink and the person who pulls out the last King will have to drink the mixture of alcohol we pour into the glass placed into the middle of the cards. Paul got to drink the horrifying blends of alcohol and we have to say ErLu at every end of our sentences. It’s hilarious!

I think I get really high from the night swim and so when Rob ask me when I’m leaving, I tease him by singing And I’m not going, which makes the whole tables clapping! The sweet children from a Holland family even ask for my autograph which makes me embarrass! Oh what a night! But I’m an early sleeper…

No comments:

Post a Comment