Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sri Lanka Curry and Rice Adventure - Day 9 – Another day in Haputale

I check out the “dirty motel” way early, without brushing my teeth to another guesthouse, basically I can’t wash my mouth since the tap runs dirty water, so I left as fast as possible, checking in to another guesthouse so I can visit the great views in Lipton’s Seat. I take a tuk tuk all the way up making sure I’m not missing the view as by 10pm the view gets misty. It sure worth waking up early, the air is so refreshing and the tea plantation is so well trimmed which you can compare the Excellency of a good Brazilian wax and every air you breathe in is magical. I even saw a rainbow at one time that elevates my mood. As it’s really early, with not a sight of tourists around except the tea house owner and me, I ordered a cup of tea and he even bought some biscuits accompany with my tea, now that’s what life should be. A cup of tea and no worries!









Lipton tea is actually where Sir Thomas Lipton will sit when he want a good view and it sure is!

As reluctant as I’m leaving the seat, I’ve to return to Dambatenne tea factory and join the tea factory tour before the workers stop work for lunch at 12 noon. The hike down is beautiful, blue sky, friendly locals that say hello every time you pass them by and the air just make it a top 10 hike I’ve done in my travels. It’s definitely a walk to remember! The tea factory tour was alright, Ramesh my guide seems to mumbling rather than actual talking about the process. I get to know the Tamil workers earn Rps: 480 and plucks 16kg of tea leaves a day. In the end it’s nice to see how the machinery work but sadly you don’t get to taste or purchase the finest tea in Ceylon. I then took a bus back to the town of Heputale, on the bus I saw a lot of Tamils girl wearing saris, funny how the bus conductor ask a child to give up his seat for me. It’s really sweet and thoughtful but unfair for the poor kid!






I then get to know a group of Belgium guys travelling together, playing a kind of poker games wizar to waste their time. It’s funny how the some poker cards can have different variations of playing it. Then I got to meet Rob from England, we get along really well, with a wicked sense of humor, chatting non-stop, maybe both of us are born in 1980. He told me he is arranging a car to Horton’s plain together with 2 English girls, Sophie and Vicky, Rps: 4000 for 4 people including me and ask if I want to join them. That’s half of what the guide book suggested. I then show him around the town which get him by surprise, cause the town is really not a town in terms of the size.

On our way back to the guesthouse, I met Ali, the guy whom recommends me to sleep in the “dirty motel”, he is so apologetic and he told me there is a full moon Buddhist festival happening tonight. Since the festival is starting soon, we then chill in a local bakery which serves delectable “samosa” together with a sweet milk tea. I better stop doing the zodiac things as Rob calls it ballock! After waiting for a while, Ali then told me it’s going to be delayed, so we went back for dinner and told the rest of the backpackers that there is a festival going on in town. With my stomach bloated, Rob and me, the Belgium lads and a Holland couple join us to the festival.






It’s really cool! In between the parade, you see elephant dressing up in red elaborated costume, with children performing with fire, children whipping the floor which looks dangerously, I would have say Kids, don try it at home but it’ll sound contradicting. The festival is a great eye-opener! With an early Horton’s Plain hike we have to do in 5am, I better get to the bed soon!



Sleep
Amarasinghe guesthouse – Rps 1500 (Peak/Holiday season)
It’s an amazing guesthouse with Dutch inspire architecture. The room comes with a balcony. It’s spacious and without stale air in the room. Beds are comfortable to toss and turn. Amarasinghe’s wife is a fantastic cook! One bad merit is that the room are overprice in holiday season.

Transport
Tuk tuk from my Amarasinghe guesthouse to Lipton Seat – Rps: 1000
Bus from Dambatenne tea factory > Haputale town – Rps: 22

Entry Fees
Lipton’s seat – Rps: 50

Food
3 Vegetables Curry Rice - Rps: 280
Absolutely delicious that I almost forgot to take the pictures of my food. The curry with the different vegetables is very appetizing! It's tasty and flavourful!

No comments:

Post a Comment