Tuesday, November 9, 2010

India Pilgrimage 10.09.2010

The last day of the teaching is heart-warming. I renew my 5 precepts vows and I finally understood the real meaning of the precepts. Most of the time, we take the precept too literally. Precept is something you’re confining into or against your wishes but if you see it from another angle, it can be a new found experience.

The five precepts are:

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life
It means I respect all life and giving them life by not harming them

2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.
It means I respect all property and by not taking what is not given, I am not harming myself against my action.

3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct.
It means I respect all individuals and by that, I don’t harm myself and others by spreading sexual transmitted diseases.

4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.
Honesty is the best policy, by truthful speech; I won’t create disputes for others.

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from intoxicants that causes heedlessness
It means I respect myself by allowing my brain to function clearly without doing anything impulsively that hurt others and me.

I cried tremendously when I renew my vows, I finally got the understanding why the precepts are necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment