Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ahram Boy - 10/07 Sat



Early in the morning, we set off to the village. I was told by Khun Paul, part of my temple boy experience is to establish contact with the community. Not knowing what to expect, we drove about 40km to a town Klang Nai, visiting a village, Nong Lau. The temple is not as bad as I think but the mosquitoes are ferocious. I’ve not fully recovered from my mossie bites in Taiwan and now many more will join in the fun. I regret not getting any insect repellant.

We set up a tent for 2 in a Sala. The weather is hot and humid; I use the mantra, mind over matters repeatedly. The villagers are friendly and the children love the occasion. I’ve met some innocent and fun loving children. It’s amazing to see their personalities and how they will grow up! I also met the principal and the teachers of the nearby school. It’s a village affair where everyone from young to old takes part in this educational retreat, movie showing how alcoholics destroy not just themselves but also to their families. Eating orderly and giving thanks before each meal. It’s almost back in holiday camp where lots of co-ordination is needed to keep the event going.

After a day’s entertainment, during the Buddhist Lent (Khao Pansa) month, a candle lighting transference (Wientian) ceremony is held; this is to commemorate the Buddha’s first teaching (Asanga Puja) and how light dispel the darkness. One by one, when candle light is spread all over the room from one single light. Everyone patiently and mindfully walks to the middle of the room, where a lotus-like sand pot awaits them to stick the candle into it. At this moment, everyone will sincerely make a wish or aspiration. It’s a beautiful ceremony!

No comments:

Post a Comment