Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ahram Boy - 7/07 Wed

After a long day of marveling yesterday, I feel depleted, maybe because the past few days I’ve been waking up, 4am in the wee hours. I might have a sleep deprivation problem. The morning chanting is soothing and harmonious even though I’m not able to appreciate completely till to my drowsy state.

6am, when the breeze is cool and the sun is rising. I really do appreciate walking barefoot on the road, begging for food, grateful for the food that the people are offering. At the same time, doubting their intention whether it’s to gain lots of good merits in their afterlife or sincerely wishes that the monks will gain enlightenment soon. Well, whether or not the monks can gain enlightenment that’s another story. I believe I’m in no place to be judgmental. Nonetheless, Generosity is always a good virtue.

After the alms offering, I’ve come to a conclusion that the monks will never die in hunger. Seriously, it’s lavish to certain extent. The amount of food is plenty and dare I say delicious! No wonder some monks take monkhood as an occupation and others not able to gain enlightenment till to their attachment of Thai local delicacies.

Khun Paul picks me up after the alms offering, to University Rachapat for my first English class of the many days to come. The students greeted the teacher, and in a surprising manner looking at this total stranger. As usual, everyone thought I’m Thai. I introduce myself, and that’s where they know I’m “farang” some asked if I’m a singer in Singapore, mainly because Khun Paul wanted to trigger their interest in learning English, chose an English song to sing along, kind of using the lyrics to comprehend the English language. I was asked by Khun Paul to sing, Right here waiting by Bryan Adams. That’s where the students have their jaws dropped. What can I say? I’m a born singer ;) Khun Paul then instructed the students to ask me questions in English, about me and my life in Singapore. They also initiated to give me a Thai name. I can’t wait to see what Thai name they have given me. Something starting with K perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment