Sunday, April 28, 2013

See you next year - An ordinary life changing tale as a volunteer (6)

VW Day 3
(VW - Volunteer Work)

Today is an easy day, I’ve been volunteering the past 2 days on the construction site but my heart keeps going back to the children in Dream house. The "see you next year" effect I guess. I was surprised when I saw Amon, the driver whom accompanied the walkers for the charity walk last year, 15 days from Bangkok to Sangklaburi, picks me up from my guesthouse. It’s quite nostalgic, reminiscing the time during our walk.

He is a joker and I love making fun of him. He has a way of saying no problem, effortlessly redundant whenever he meets a situation : )

I remember last year, the van he was driving is so muddy that you can write on top of the mud, and he wrote Amon, handsome man in Thai, and so I asked Pan, my fellow walker to write eat shit in Thai beside Amon handsome man. He didn't discover till during our lunch break, he saw it and have a big laugh, of course he figures out who the mastermind was. I’m so happy to see him again.

He drove out of town about 30 minutes; dropping the volunteers to the construction site first before sending me to Dream House, where I took pictures of where they live and the condition they were living for my donors whom donated the USD$1050 for the construction of the new house. Sadly, most of the children have left Dream house to reunite with their family for the Thai New Year except for a few orphans.






















I suggested bringing the children out to the town for a day trip. Amon then drove us back to the town, for ice-cream, and mainly also my friend, Nin has donated SGD$50 before I left Singapore for me to buy groceries for the children in Dream house. One of the caretakers follows us which is good, as she will know what is needed in the house. We bought cooking oil, sugar, chili sauce, tooth paste, other necessities and even some water guns for the children during Songkran.







David, one of the children in Dream House is so passionate in music. He even knows the American band, owl city, their song, fireflies is my favorite and he shares his music with me on the truck. I remember the last time I was in dream house he played guitar really well. Till to the education opportunities provided by Dream House, He now speaks fluent English. I even taught him a few Chinese words. I wanted to get him something, feeling that he might be lonely as he is staying behind while the rest of the children reunite with their family. I ask him what he wants when we were in 7-11 and guess what he asks for, a pop musical score book for guitar. I truly believe music heals all pain and sorrow, also motivates and drives us to a better place. I’m so glad music provide that comfort and sanctuary for him.




Joshua, one of the orphans took the biggest ice-cream cone out from the freezer, I was worried at first, it might be too big for him but I underestimate him, he eats it with grace and watching him slowly indulging the ice-cream makes me happy. Seeing him also reminds me of my godson, Alfonso. Both are boys at the same age but the difference is a big contrast. Joshua is an orphan; he has not seen his parents since 2 years old when his parents abandoned him at the Dream House after walking 5 days from Burma. Joshua also doesn't have a name given by his parents. He doesn't know when his birthday is whereas my godson just celebrated his 5th birthday in Legoland last month on the 18th



The toys Joshua played are usually unwanted toys donated by Samaritan from the city, most of his clothes too. My godson will usually have 2 set of new clothing for Chinese New year, not to mention occasionally from me as well when I’m travelling. 


As Joshua fall asleep on my lap on our way back to dream house, I can’t help but to wonder why some children are more deprived from another. Can we do something to alleviate and provide equal opportunity for all children?


Songkran* Thai new year (Water Splashing Festival)

No comments:

Post a Comment