Wednesday, April 24, 2013

See you next year - An ordinary life changing tale as a volunteer (2)

Bangkok to Sangklaburi

Traveling from Bangkok to Sangklaburi is not a smooth motoring journey, knowing it especially after the 370kms I have walked last year to raise fund for anti-human trafficking, The high mountain road really slows the vehicle down, at one moment I think I can walk faster than the bus, with that motion, it also means the journey will be scenic and beautiful. I changed into 3 different modes of transport, Minivan from Khao San to Kanchanaburi then AC local bus, 8203 from Kanchanaburi to Tha Pha Poom, finally an even more local Non AC bus from Tha Pha Poom to Sangklaburi.

On the way from Khao San to Kanchanaburi, I met a lady, Sau, hearing from her conversation with her friend that she is vegetarian, I’ve got a feeling we have more to talk about. It turns out she is a Dharma practitioner-who has a shop selling Buddhist amulets, and hoping one day she can left her business and set up a meditation center in Cha-Am. I truly enjoy this kind of uncontrived and inspiring conversation, whether it’s on the train, café or in minivan during your travels. There is something mysterious about having conversation with strangers or friends you have yet to know. It seems like the world is conspiring to tell u something perhaps through an unforeseen incident. For me, this message is telling me to mediate and cultivate more in Dharma, perhaps volunteer more as well.

After 8 long hours, I’ve reached Sangklaburi. I love surprises, and guess what, on my way from the market to P. guesthouse. I bumped into Josh in Blue Rock. Josh is one of the kids taken care by dream house, also I gave him my shoe after my charity walk last year, knowing he walked and run barefoot with me through the last day of my walk. Till to Songkran, he is in town overnight, returning home to reunite with his family near the Burmese border, Three Pagoda Pass the next day.

I talked to him for a while, asking how everything is, he is very interested in Arts, and being a tour guide so the past few days he was touring with the Starfish Thai tour guide who brought the volunteers to the jungle for Thai experience. I sense that he is responsible (since he is the oldest kid in dream house) and sensible (planning for his future) and also very sociable and eager to learn. I see great potential in him and his future.

I then left him and sat on the deck afloat by the river bank, seeing the boats drove by, and the sun set in different shades of oranges that mesmerises me, reading a book that puts my mind in another place, listening to music that brings back my memories, nostalgia seems to linger on with remembering the past and anticipating the future. I can’t help but to wonder can life really be that simple…

Dharma* - Law that "upholds, supports or maintains the regulatory order of the universe which mean maintains the stability and harmony of the universe.


Joshua and me on the last day of the walk

No comments:

Post a Comment