Wednesday, April 24, 2013

See you next year - An ordinary life changing tale as a volunteer (3)

VW Day 1 (VW - Volunteer Work)

Its 6am, I received a Facebook message late last night from Lucy that I can participate in the building of the new dream house, which perks me up for most people knows I’m the most hand on person, construction site might not be a place where you can find me but I sure can do what I can with what I have.

Early in the morning does make me drowsy, but I’m not afraid of hard work. The excitement I’ve generated last night, does elevate my morning. Wiwat, one of the staff from starfish, picks me up at 6.45am from P. guesthouse. My first impression is his hip hop swagger, even the t shirt that printed with fuck you is formed by small little fuck words. Feel like he has a lot of angst but in actual fact, he is a fun loving and soft spoken boy. He is from Karen hill tribe, has been working with starfish a year plus. He loves R&B and Hip-Hop. Quiet but with amicable personality which is a big contrast from the T-shirt he is wearing.

The Karen Hill tribe, are an ethnic group originally from Burma who have been displaced due to years of fighting and unrest. They were one of the earliest people to reside in Southeast Asia and were responsible for the spread of Theravada Buddhism in present day Burma and Thailand.

After the violence with the Burmese Soldier, some of Karen villagers escaped the poverty and violence to Thailand. Therefore, many problems were happened at the border between Thailand and Burma. Citizenship was no given to them so no health care benefit or even education is given, which means lack of many opportunities and prone to human trafficking. There were many groups of private and charitable organization, Starfish volunteer and Dream house is one of them. But, the problems are still unresolved till now. What's nice about starfish volunteer is that they provide job opportunities for the local as well; they have 6 local staffs and 2 foreign staffs working on the ground.

After picking me up, he continues to pick, Nat, one of the staff in starfish, Tiffany, Rob and Molly from Canada, UK and Australia respectively. When I arrive at the land, I can’t believe this empty land has only 8 people including me working on it.

P Lek is the only professional Thai contractor employed. The rest is all volunteers. It’ a bit intimidating, knowing there is going to be a lot of work done. More so, after knowing that, the new dream house has to be completed by this July. With the Songkran long holiday in April, and without financial support, things do get very slow in the progress. I doubt this will happen.

Besides, intimidated by the size of the land, I met Brett and Min, architect and interior designer from Australia. Weather is so much better than Bangkok, but it’s still hot, as a city boy, I like to get down, dirty, wet and rough, most people have not seen this side of me before :)

Brett gave us a short briefing on getting the toilet paneling done, mixing cement with rocks and sand for the boundary post around the area, we went to look around for scrap woods that are still useful for the toilet paneling, I found a few good pieces of wood but with nails still attaching to it, I then pull out the nails with the hammer, reminds me of extracting wisdom tooth, some are really stubborn.










Rob and Moley cut up the scrap wood into the right sizes, I then left them for cement mixing with Tiffany and Nat, Trust me, it’s not like mixing flour and egg, mixing cement, tones and sands requires a lot of effort, making sure they are properly mixed is not an easy task, the boundary post will need it to stand still and strong. Nonetheless, with a few runs learning from P Lek, I got the drift and it seems to get much easier. Bob might be the builder but Kyle is a learner!

First time working as a construction worker, mixing cement, pulling out nails, paneling one of the toilet walls does seem easy but it’s not. There are a lot of mind and physical coordination with the body. Of course, Nat and I always try to find easiest way to work on our task. It’s about working smart not hard J Nat is also from Karen, she has 1 daughter, very jovial and outgoing, loves her energy, and she always teases the volunteers.

I got to know, Tiffany, Rob and Molly has been volunteering for 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 2 weeks respectively. It’s amazing to see these young people making meaningful choices and a difference in other people and theirs life.

As the sun rises further up in the mid-day, it is intolerable to continue working, so we pack our tools and went back our guesthouses. On our way back, we stop by Blend café, where Tiffany is obsessing with green tea frappe. That’s where I met Vicky from Hawaii. She is a researcher, teacher, human trafficking expert. She is working on the curriculums on prevention of human trafficking to local schools and provides training as well. She is so gentle, patience and knowledgeable. There is this warmth you received from the conversation. This also makes me realize there are a lot of unsung heroes in this town working hard for human trafficking causes.

May all us are inspired to know more about the world and how the daily decisions you made can change the world. Stay awake!

More pictures
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151398513092634.1073741831.575247633&type=3

No comments:

Post a Comment