Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What a difference a week made!

Just last week, I desperately wanted to get out of Yangon. This week now is a total 360 degrees turn over. I left Bangkok to Gan’s parent house in Amphoe (Ampur) Lee, Lamphun. It definitely is not a touristy town, much left along hotel existing in this town. Gan’s father whom I call him Por (father in Thai) picks me up at 4.30 outside the town centre. At first, I was worried about the communication as I speak little Thai and they do not know how to speak Chinese (Jin) or English (Ang Grit) but I worried for nothing. My Thai turns out to be good enough to get by. Although, at times, I’m like playing win, lose or draw trying to gesture certain meaning or words. Once I’m trying to tell them, the woods in Alisan, Taiwan smells good and Por thinks that I’m sniffing morphine on the highland. We laughed so much loudly together.

On the first day, as I spend overnight on the bus, feeling lethargic, I slept a few hours at Gan’s room before I was woke up by Por to have breakfast. Breakfast is great, fresh vegetables especially cooked in Thai style by Gan’s mother, whom I call her Mae (mother in Thai). After the breakfast, Por and Mae bring me to several the temples around the town; I must say once again I’m memorized by the Buddha in Lanna style, the lotus bud above the head, orb shaped hair curls, round faces and the slightly chubby curvy chest. It’s endearing!

We went back home for lunch, delectable fried noodles with vegetables and mushroom. Mae must have known from Gan I’m a vegetarian. She really spends time thinking about the dishes. After lunch, Por and I took a nap before we set off to other nearby temples. This temple is very special, it’s a cave temple and we do need to hike our way to the top. Mae legs are not very strong so she skips this trip with us. The cave temple is surreal, even the temperature inside the cave is about 10 degrees Celsius different from the outside. It’s cool and you can see bat’s dropping at some areas but the Buddha statues peacefully situating inside the cave is peaceful. Then, we went to another temple, It’s surprising in the northern part of Thailand, Luang Por or Ajahrn are very well-venerated especially those whom have passed away, demonstrated miracles or benefited to the society, there is also a mummified monk, Kuba Srivichai display in the Viharn (temple hall). Statues of these venerated monks are sometimes oversize and equally as big as the Buddha statues. Por is very patient, helpful and sometimes telling me stories of theses Luang Por but I sometimes don’t really understand and keep on nodding my head…

Time goes by quickly, it’s time for dinner; we sat and eat the dinner in front of the TV. The Thai soap drama on TV3 is fascinating to watch, just looking at the beautiful people and the body language is good enough to understand it.

To read more about Kuba Srivichai, please click on the below
http://www.mungkhalung.com/event/kruba-srivichai/





More pictures
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=575247633&aid=279199#!/album.php?fbid=10150103836257634&id=575247633&aid=279199&closeTheater=1

No comments:

Post a Comment