Friday, October 18, 2013

The Road to Recovery

How do I write a travelogue after going through cancer? Most people wouldn't think of stepping out of the house often, not to mention traveling, at least not after a year gap from the treatment. The fear of dealing with side effects in a foreign country, the inconvenience of following a strict post cancer diet to prevent relapse, concern on my stamina not able to handle the long tiring journey, the worries of how my low immune system can handle the germs slowly build up my vulnerability, all these and more generates anxiety and fear. 

Nonetheless, after 77 days of completing my 33 sessions of radiotherapy and 6 sessions of chemotherapy, I decided to move on with my travel plans. It’s funny how I foresee this trip is necessary, if not, why would I book a one way ticket to visit my chum, Kylie early January this year before knowing there is a tumor hibernating on my neck.

Honestly, the idea of not able to travel is more devastating than knowing I’ve got cancer. Without traveling, I feel like I’m imprisoned, in my case, confined by cancer, not able to be who I’m or liberated like the statue of liberty (Actually, it’s quite ironic for her to stay put in one place and not move). Traveling emancipate my thoughts, inspire my work. Walking free, smelling the fresh air, immersing in foreign culture, language and people that’ll amaze me. Isn't this the best way for recovery?


Thus, this will be a road to recovery; by saying recovery doesn't mean I’ll be staying in an expensive resort facing the sea or backpacking it like a tough cookie like I used to be. I’ll manage it with a balance. By traveling slow, slower than the pace I traveled before, visiting my friends rather than filling up all the sightseeing in one day, seeing as much as I could and giving thanks to my friends whom show me so much support during my cancer treatment.

I remember a dear friend of mine, Nancy from Malacca once told me, or maybe more than once that I’m very blessed especially when I’m travelling. I’m always surrounded by extremely hospitable good friends, so much so I feel like

a) They are like my extended family members or

b) I’m V.I.P (Very “Impressive” Person) like Obama that needs to be taken care of carefully

Whatever I need is a stone throw away. The kindness I received everywhere I go from my friends or even stranger humbled me. I can give you various occurrences but that will take up the whole weeks narrating it. All I can say, I’m overwhelmed with goodness every day!

So where will I go then?

I’ll first arrived in Melbourne, Australia, flying out from Darwin to Bali, Indonesia then back to Singapore for my MRI, soon after that to Bangkok, Thailand followed by Hong Kong and last but not least back to Singapore from Guang Zhou, China. This journey will take 3 months, even though some of the countries like Bangkok, Hong Kong or Guang Zhou might not be the best countries for recovery but till to the fact, this is where my friends are locating. Recovery will be a state of mind for these places.

A wise man once said, it’s not the destination that’s important, it’s the journey. As for someone after going through cancer, it’s not the knowing I’m cancer free; it’s the mental mindset on how I choose to deal with this illness that’s far more important.

Coming back to the question, how do I write a travelogue after going through cancer? I can’t write, I can only feel from my heart, let my heart do the writing. I will let this journey heighten my senses and reduce my side effects. Letting go of the uncertainty, letting go of all the anxiety and worries, letting go of fear, the unknown, just letting go.


For all you know, aren’t all these emotional states causing the cancer in the first place…

No comments:

Post a Comment